5 Tips to Prevent Seniors from Falling
Falls are the second leading cause of accidental injury deaths worldwide. And even if the fall is not a fatal one, they can cause life-changing injuries such as a hip fractures and head injuries.
As we age, we tend to lose some of our balance and coordination, and the potential for falls increases. It is important to look out for aging loved ones that have a higher chance of falling.
A serious fall could take away senior’s independence, or their life, in the blink of an eye.
To protect your elderly loved one from falling, it is important to take the proper precautions. Here are 5 tips to prevent seniors from falling:
- Necessary items should be easy to access. The potential of falling is greatly limited when everything your loved one needs is easily accessible. Make sure any necessary items are within reach, not on high shelves, and with no need to use a ladder. This eliminates any possibility of the senior getting up high and falling.
- Remove hazards. Anything the senior could potentially trip over should be moved out of the walkways. Wires, floor rugs, uneven carpeting, and anything unnecessary should be fixed, moved, or removed completely. Also, be weary of patterned rugs that can affect depth perception.
- Create a safe bathroom. Bathroom falls can be some of the most dangerous because of the slippery, hard floors. Invest in good-quality slip-resistant mats to put on the floor inside the tub as well as outside. Installing safety bars and railings can also be helpful to prevent slipping.
- Declutter their floors. Keeping a clean space is vital for preventing falls. Any object on the floor could result in a slip, trip, or fall. It is also best to keep clutter off the floor so that the senior does not have to bend down to pick it up.
- Equip their space with grab bars and handrails. For hallways, staircases, toilets, and bathtubs, handrails are essential for seniors living at home. These are an immediate prevention tool to keep them safe and secure at all times. You can hire someone to equip these into the home in the necessary places.
Fall Prevention at a Senior Living Community
Senior living communities are specially designed for seniors. At Lawrence Street Health Care Center in Tomball, Texas, you never have to worry about your loved one having a serious fall. The proper equipment, organization, and supervision are utilized to prevent seniors from falling in our community. If you feel your loved one could benefit from our care, contact us today!